Below is a summary of info on Adhesives for Glass provided by KSU alumnus and cold-worker extraordinaire, Timothy Stover on his recent visiting artist stint at Kent State Glass.
Uses: Glass to glass, metal, wood (wood must be dried and completely sealed).
- Can be colored with dry pigments.
- Shelf-life of four years (begins to yellow in bottle)
- Optically clear
- After mixing, can be stored for 7 days in freezer to be used.
- Cures 7 days, or 2 days under warm lamp at approximately 120 degrees
- Very expensive (but worth the money)
- Only 4 distributors in USA
- Must be weighed out precisely for proper curing (two parts)
Uses: Glass to glass, metal, wood
- Strongest brand is CR Laurences “water clear”
- Best option is Dow Corning 732 (water clear)
- Any Dow Corning in 730 series is very good. # corresponds to color.
- Easy to use
- Can be cured faster by placing Humidifier near work
- Messy joints unless you are a plumber and good at clean up
- Thick joints in comparison to other adhesives.
- Lovely vinegar smell
- Sets up in 24 hours, but fragile until 7 days.
Uses: glue cuts back together on your finger.
Cons: Don’t use it on glass
Uses: waste of time
Cons: Don’t use it on glass (Very Yellow and ugly)
Uses: Glass to glass, metal, wood, plastic
- some optically clear
- very strong
- quick cure
- multiple glues for multiple applications
- good capillary action for filling cracks
- quick set time (10- 30 secs), stronger uv light results in faster cure (2-10 min)
- requires good fitting joints. glue cures in absence of oxygen.
- best brands are Bohle, CR Laurence, Dymex.
- not intended to be cold worked after glueing. heat, agitation from grit, and moisture cause delamination
Loctite Impruv 349
- Easiest to acquire
- Thick, general purpose glass to glass, glass to metal
- slight yellowing after 10 years
CR Laurence (need business license)
most are optically clear
601: very hard, great capillary action, thin
701: hard, good capillary action, thin, good for tempered glass
602L: elastic, thin, good for laminating
603T: elastic, thin, very flexible, good for glass to metal or ceramics
604L: very elastic, made for glass to metal
702: very hard, slightly thicker, made for glass to metal in heavy circumstances
703: thick, designed for vertical applications
- European UV adhesives
- better quality than Loctite
- 3 different viscosities
- European “equivalent” to Hxtal NYL-1
- Designed for aeronautic applications
- Made in Germany
- Hard to get in USA
Silicone Based Adhesive
Can be bought at most craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc.)
Good for jewelry and SMALL works